Tuna Noodle Casserole with Potato Chip Topping
This recipe provides 6 servings.
1) ¼ cup salted butter, plus more for garnish
2) 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
3) 1 (8 ounce) package sliced cremini mushrooms
4) 1 teaspoon sea salt
5) ¼ cup all-purpose flour
6) 2 cups whole milk
7) 1 cup chicken broth
8) 8 ounces uncooked medium pasta shells
9) 12 ounce tuna in water, drained
10) 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus more for garnish
11) Pepper to taste
12) 1 cup shredded sharp white Cheddar cheese
13) 11/2 cups potato chips
1) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 2-quart baking dish with butter.
2) Melt ¼ cup butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, approximately 5 minutes. Increase the heat to medium-high, and the mushrooms, and ½ teaspoon sea salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
3) Sprinkle with flour, and cook, stirring constantly, approximately 1 minute. Reduce the heat to medium. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly; stir in the broth. Bring the mixture to a simmer, and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, approximately 2 minutes.
4) Cook the pasta in salted water according to the package directions. Drain the pasta, and return to the saucepan. Add the mushroom mixture, tuna, and parsley; stir gently to combine. Sprinkle with the pepper and the remaining ½ teaspoon of sea salt.
5) Transfer the pasta mixture to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with the cheese and crumbled potato chips. Bake until the top is golden brown and the edges are bubbly, approximately 25 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving, sprinkled with more parsley if desired.