Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Emotional Intelligence

  

·       Interestingly, IQ contributes to approximately 20 % to the factors that determine life success, which leaves 80% to other forces.

·       The vast majority of one’s ultimate niche in society is determined by non-IQ factors, ranging from luck to social class.

·       The fact is, the relationship between IQ test scores and life achievements is dwarfed by the totality of other characteristics that a person brings to life.

·       Other characteristics, known as emotional intelligence consist of abilities such as being able to motivate oneself and persist in the face of frustrations and challenges; to control impulses and delay gratification; to regulate one’s mood and keep stress from hindering your ability to think and focus effectively; to empathize and to visualize positive actions.

·       Emotional intelligence can be as powerful, and at times more powerful, than IQ. And while there are those who argue that IQ cannot be changed much by education or experience, essential emotional abilities can indeed be learned and improved upon, especially by children, if there is a real emphasis and effort to teach them.   

·       Emotional life is a domain similar to math or reading, it can be handled with greater or less ability, and requires its unique set of skills. And how proficient a person is at utilizing those skills is key to understanding why one person thrives in life while another, of equal intellect, does not.

·       Academic intelligence offers virtually no preparation for the turmoil, or opportunity, life’s changes bring. Even though a high IQ is no guarantee of prosperity, respect, or happiness in life, schools primarily focus on academic abilities, ignoring emotional intelligence, a set of traits, some refer to as character, which matters immeasurably for personal successes.

·       An example of someone exhibiting a high academic IQ and low emotional intelligence: A female college student who had attained 4 perfect 800 scores on the SAT, spent most of her time hanging out, staying up late, and missing classes by sleeping until noon; it took her almost 7 years to finally get her degree, despite her formidable intellectual abilities. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment