This recipe provides 4 servings.
1) 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2) 1 pound 90% lean ground beef
3) ½ teaspoon pepper
4) 1 teaspoon sea salt
5) 8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
6) 2 cups milk
7) 1 ¼ cups warm water
8) ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
9) ¼ teaspoon paprika
10) ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
11) a pinch of cayenne pepper
12) 1 ½ cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
13) ½ cup chopped American cheese
14) 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh chives
15) ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
16) 2 chopped scallions, green part only
1) Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef, pepper, and ½ teaspoon of the sea salt; cook, stirring to crumble, until browned, approximately 5 minutes.
2) Preheat the broiler with the oven rack 3 to 4 inches from the heat. Reduce the stove-top heat to medium, and stir in the macaroni. Add the milk, warm water, mustard, paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and remaining ½ teaspoon sea salt. Bring to a low simmer; cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until macaroni is tender, approximately 10 minutes.
3) Add the cheeses, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cheeses are melt. Stir in chives. Sprinkle the panko over the macaroni mixture.
4) Broil until the panko is golden brown, approximately 1 to 2 minutes. Garnish with chopped scallions (green part only), and serve immediately.