Chinese Style –Beef Noodles
This recipe provides 8 servings.
1) 5 cups of water
2) 1 ½ cups rice wine or sake
3) 3/4 cups low-sodium soy sauce
4) ¼ cup sugar
5) 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
6) 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1 ½ inch cubes
7) 6 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
8) 6 garlic cloves, crushed
9) 2 cinnamon sticks
10) 1 ( 1-inch) piece peeled fresh ginger, thinly sliced
11) 1 ( 10-ounce) package fresh spinach, chopped
12) 4 cups hot cooked wide lo mein noodles
13) Green onion pieces (optional)
1) Combine the first 4 ingredients in a large bowl, stir with a whisk, and then set aside.
2) Heat 2 teaspoons vegetable oil in a large Dutch oven over medium –high heat, add half of beef, browning on all sides. Remove from pan. Repeat procedure with remaining 2 teaspoons of oil and 1 pound of beef.
3) Return beef to pan; add water mixture, cinnamon, garlic, ginger, and onions. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer approximately 2 hours, or until beef is tender.
4) Discard cinnamon and ginger. Stir in spinach; cook 2-3 minutes, until wilted. Serve over noodles. Garnish with green onion pieces, if desired.
Serving Size: 1 cup beef mixture and ½ cup noodles