Golden Beet and Beet Greens Soup
Recipe Insight: Similar to turnips, beets have leafy green tops that are edible and nutritious.
This recipe provides 4 servings.
1) 3 golden beets with leafy tops
2) 1 small red onion, sliced lengthwise
3) 1 tablespoon olive oil
4) 2 garlic cloves, minced
5) 4 cups chicken broth
6) 1 teaspoon sea salt
7) ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1) Trim leafy tops off beets, leaving about an inch and a half of stems attached. Wash beets and leaves, making sure to discard tough stems. Put beets in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, covered; reduce heat and simmer until beets are tender when pierced, approximately 40 minutes. Drain and let cool. Remove skin and stems, then cut beets thinly crosswise.
2) Cut beet leaves crosswise into thin shreds, then set them aside, reserving them.
3) Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium –high heat. Add sliced red onion and minced garlic, then cook until lightly browned, approximately 4 minutes. Add chicken broth and sliced beets, then bring to a boil. Stir in reserved beet greens and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.