Lentil-Chard Soup with Ham
This recipe provides 6 servings.
1) 4 cups Swiss chard, chopped into bite sized chunks
2) 1 32-oz. carton reduced-sodium chicken broth
3) 1 14-oz package frozen mirepoix (carrots, celery, and onions)
4) 1 9-oz. package refrigerated steamed lentils
5) 2 cups water
6) 2 cups diced cooked ham
7) 1 ½ teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
8) Finely shredded Parmesan cheese for topping (optional)
1) In a 4-quart Dutch oven combine first seven ingredients (through Italian seasoning), cook to boiling. Reduce heat, simmer for 10-15 minutes, until vegetables are fork tender, stirring occasionally.
2) If desired, top soup with shredded cheese.