Root Vegetable Gratin
This recipe provides 10 servings
1) 2 large russet potatoes, peeled
2) 1 large golden beet, peeled
3) 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed
4) 2 large parsnips or 3 medium
5) 2 ½ teaspoons sea salt
6) Freshly ground pepper to taste
7) 1 ½ cups heavy cream
8) 1 ½ cups shredded Parmesan cheese (approx. 6 ounces)
1) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly coat a 13 by 9 –inch baking dish with olive oil. Using a mandolin or a sharp knife, cut the potatoes, beet, fennel bulb, and parsnips into thin slices. Toss together the vegetable slices, sea salt, and ¾ cup heavy cream in a large bowl.
2) Spread half the mixture evenly in the coated baking dish. Top with 1 cup of the Parmesan. Top evenly with the remaining vegetable mixture. Pour the remaining ¾ cup heavy cream over the vegetables, and top with the remaining ½ cup Parmesan. Cover loosely with aluminum foil. Bake for 1 hour.
3) Uncover and bake until the veggies are fork tender and the cheese is golden brown, 15-20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack; cool for 15-20 minutes before serving with freshly ground pepper over the top.