Apple Pie-Spiced Oatmeal
This recipe provides 4 servings.
1) 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
2) 4 dates, pitted and finely chopped
3) 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4) Pinch of ground allspice
5) Pinch of nutmeg
6) Pinch of sea salt
7) 2 apples, cored and cut into chucks
8) 1 ¾ cups 2% low-fat milk, plus extra to top oatmeal
1) Put the oats, chopped dates, and spices into a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan with three-quarters of the apple chucks and add a pinch of sea salt. Pour in the milk and 1 ¾ cups hot water and stir over medium heat until the porridge begins to simmer.
2) Simmer gently for approximately 15 minutes, stirring regularly for a creamy consistency. The apple chucks will collapse into the oatmeal and the liquid should all be absorbed.
3) To serve, top with the remaining apple chunks. Serve with a little pitcher of extra milk on the side to top oatmeal.
Slight variations: Swap the cow’s milk for soy or rice milk...something to think about as an alternative.