Sunday, August 23, 2015
Recipe of the Day
Melon Salad with Granola
Recipe Insight: Heirloom Charentais melons have smooth, gray-green skin and bright orange flesh that is very sweet and fragrant. For a substitute a combination of cantaloupe and honeydew melon may be used.
1) 1 egg white
2) 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
3) 1/2 cup sunflower seed kernels
4) 1/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
5) 2.5 tablespoons sesame seeds
6) 1 tablespoon sugar
7) 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
8) 1 teaspoon chili powder
9) 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
10) 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
11) 1 teaspoon honey
12) 8 cups sliced Charentias
13) cooking spray
14) 1/2 fresh basil leaves
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2) Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; coat with cooking spray. Combine egg white and salt in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk until frothy. Add sunflower seeds and next five ingredients (through chili powder); stir to coat. Spread mixture in an even layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, stirring once after 8 minutes. Cool granola completely.
3) Combine oil, honey, and vinegar in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Place approximately 1 cup melon of each of 8 small plates. Top each serving with 1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar mixture, 1 1/2 tablespoons granola, and 1 teaspoon basil.
185 Calories per Serving.