Sunday, August 23, 2015
Melon Salad with Granola
Recipe Insight: Heirloom Charentais melons have smooth, gray-green skin and bright orange flesh that is very sweet and fragrant. For a substitute a combination of cantaloupe and honeydew melon may be used.
1) 1 egg white
2) 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
3) 1/2 cup sunflower seed kernels
4) 1/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
5) 2.5 tablespoons sesame seeds
6) 1 tablespoon sugar
7) 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
8) 1 teaspoon chili powder
9) 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
10) 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
11) 1 teaspoon honey
12) 8 cups sliced Charentias
13) cooking spray
14) 1/2 fresh basil leaves
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2) Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; coat with cooking spray. Combine egg white and salt in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk until frothy. Add sunflower seeds and next five ingredients (through chili powder); stir to coat. Spread mixture in an even layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, stirring once after 8 minutes. Cool granola completely.
3) Combine oil, honey, and vinegar in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Place approximately 1 cup melon of each of 8 small plates. Top each serving with 1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar mixture, 1 1/2 tablespoons granola, and 1 teaspoon basil.
185 Calories per Serving.
Sunday, August 16, 2015
Grilled Chicken Salad with Orange Vinaigrette
This recipe provides 4 servings.
1) 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
2) 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
3) 3/8 teaspoon, divided
4) 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
5) 2 tablespoons orange juice
6) 2 tablespoons light sesame oil
7) 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
8) 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
9) 1 head Bibb lettuce, torn/shredded
10) 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
11) 1 cup diagonally cut celery
12) 1/3 cup unsalted, dry roasted cashew halves
13) cooking spray
1) Heat grill pan over medium-high heat. Lightly coat chicken with cooking spray. Lightly coat chicken with cooking spray. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Add chicken to pan; cook 8 minutes, turning once. Remove from pan; let stand 5 minutes. Thinly slice chicken across the grain.
2) While chicken cooks, combine remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, orange rind, in addition to 2 tablespoons orange juice, 2 tablespoons sesame oil, 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, and 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard; stir. *Reserve 1 tablespoon vinaigrette.
3) Place lettuce and remaining ingredients in a bowl. Add vinaigrette; toss to coat. Divide salad among 4 plates; top with chicken. Drizzle with reserved vinaigrette.
This recipe provides 350 calories per serving.
Sunday, August 9, 2015
This recipe provides 2 servings.
1) 2 cups of arugula, rinsed and patted dry
2) 1 cup cooked chicken, chop into chunks
3) 1/2 cup pink grapefruit sections
4) 1 cup strawberries, cleaned and sliced
5) 2 scallions, chopped
6) 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
7) 3 teaspoons olive oil
8) 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1) In a medium bowl, combine the arugula, berries, chicken, grapefruit, and scallions.
2) In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, and oil.
3) Toss the dressing with the greens mixture and freshly ground pepper, to desired taste.