Thursday, November 19, 2015
Thursday, November 12, 2015
Sunday, August 23, 2015
Melon Salad with Granola
Recipe Insight: Heirloom Charentais melons have smooth, gray-green skin and bright orange flesh that is very sweet and fragrant. For a substitute a combination of cantaloupe and honeydew melon may be used.
1) 1 egg white
2) 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
3) 1/2 cup sunflower seed kernels
4) 1/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
5) 2.5 tablespoons sesame seeds
6) 1 tablespoon sugar
7) 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
8) 1 teaspoon chili powder
9) 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
10) 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
11) 1 teaspoon honey
12) 8 cups sliced Charentias
13) cooking spray
14) 1/2 fresh basil leaves
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2) Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; coat with cooking spray. Combine egg white and salt in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk until frothy. Add sunflower seeds and next five ingredients (through chili powder); stir to coat. Spread mixture in an even layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, stirring once after 8 minutes. Cool granola completely.
3) Combine oil, honey, and vinegar in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Place approximately 1 cup melon of each of 8 small plates. Top each serving with 1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar mixture, 1 1/2 tablespoons granola, and 1 teaspoon basil.
185 Calories per Serving.
Sunday, August 16, 2015
Grilled Chicken Salad with Orange Vinaigrette
This recipe provides 4 servings.
1) 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
2) 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
3) 3/8 teaspoon, divided
4) 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
5) 2 tablespoons orange juice
6) 2 tablespoons light sesame oil
7) 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
8) 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
9) 1 head Bibb lettuce, torn/shredded
10) 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
11) 1 cup diagonally cut celery
12) 1/3 cup unsalted, dry roasted cashew halves
13) cooking spray
1) Heat grill pan over medium-high heat. Lightly coat chicken with cooking spray. Lightly coat chicken with cooking spray. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Add chicken to pan; cook 8 minutes, turning once. Remove from pan; let stand 5 minutes. Thinly slice chicken across the grain.
2) While chicken cooks, combine remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, orange rind, in addition to 2 tablespoons orange juice, 2 tablespoons sesame oil, 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, and 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard; stir. *Reserve 1 tablespoon vinaigrette.
3) Place lettuce and remaining ingredients in a bowl. Add vinaigrette; toss to coat. Divide salad among 4 plates; top with chicken. Drizzle with reserved vinaigrette.
This recipe provides 350 calories per serving.
Sunday, August 9, 2015
This recipe provides 2 servings.
1) 2 cups of arugula, rinsed and patted dry
2) 1 cup cooked chicken, chop into chunks
3) 1/2 cup pink grapefruit sections
4) 1 cup strawberries, cleaned and sliced
5) 2 scallions, chopped
6) 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
7) 3 teaspoons olive oil
8) 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1) In a medium bowl, combine the arugula, berries, chicken, grapefruit, and scallions.
2) In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, and oil.
3) Toss the dressing with the greens mixture and freshly ground pepper, to desired taste.
Tuesday, June 16, 2015
Ground Turkey Lettuce Wraps
This recipe provides 4 servings.
1) 1 medium zucchini (196 grams), diced
2) 1 small onion, diced (approx. 1 cup)
3) 3 ounces (150 grams) mushrooms (approx. 8 medium), diced
4) 5 cloves garlic, crushed
5) 1 tablespoon cooking oil
6) 1 pound lean ground turkey
7) 1/2 cup tomato sauce
8) 1 teaspoon sugar
9) 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
10) 2 teaspoons chili powder
11) 24 lettuce leaves
12) 8 tablespoons sour cream
1) Heat large sauté pan over medium heat. Add oil, onion, mushrooms and zucchini to pan and cook approx. 4 mins. Add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
2) Add ground turkey and increase heat to medium-high. Cook until no longer pink, approx. 10 mins., stirring occasionally to break up the meat.
3) Add tomato sauce, chili powder, sugar, and salt to turkey, and stir to combine.
4) Remove from stove. To serve, spoon 1/4 cup turkey mixture onto one lettuce leave. Top each wrap with one teaspoon of sour cream. Ready to serve.
Nutritional value per serving:
Total Fat: 19 grams (saturated 6 grams)
Sodium: 480 mg
Carbohydrates 15 grams
Protein: 27 grams
Fiber: 4 grams
Monday, June 15, 2015
Thursday, March 19, 2015
Saturday, February 28, 2015
Just click, please:
Knowledge is an essential key to leading a healthy lifestyle, as well as helping others!
Saturday, January 31, 2015
Chicken Noodle Soup
This recipe provides 4 -6 servings.
1) 1 pound ground chicken
2) 1 medium size yellow onion, chopped
3) 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
4) 1 1 /4 cup thinly sliced carrots
5) 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
6) 1 cup sliced mushrooms
7) 1/2 cup thinly celery
8) 3 kale leaves, thinly sliced
9) 8 ounces brown rice pasta, such as small elbows, such as rotini
10) sea salt ( to taste)
11) black pepper ( to taste)
1) In a medium bowl combine the chicken with salt and pepper.
2) In a Dutch oven over medium -high heat, heat the oil. Cook the ground chicken, until browned. Transfer to a plate and set aside. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, approx. 5 minutes, until translucent. Add the carrots and cook, stirring frequently, approx. 1 minute. Add the broth, celery, mushrooms, and kale. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer 15 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
3) Meanwhile, prepare the pasta, according to package directions. Drain, cover, and set aside.
4) Add cooked chicken and pasta to soup, mix thoroughly, heat to warm through out; ready to serve.
Monday, January 26, 2015
Monday, January 19, 2015
The following are examples of possible breakfast choices:
Poor breakfast choices:
Sugary cereal with milk
Better breakfast choices:
Muffin with extra fiber
Coffee with milk and sugar
Whole-grain pancakes with a little syrup
Best breakfast choices:
Regular or egg-white omelet with added beans or veggies
Fruit with yogurt, and coffee with milk or soymilk
Whole-grain toast topped with unsweetened applesauce and fresh fruit
Oatmeal or other hot-cooked grain cereal with added fruit and nuts
*Importantly noted, skipping meals is what we want to stay away from, so worse case scenario, a poor breakfast choice is a great choice compared to skipping breakfast.
Let's aim, let's have a goal of making the best healthy breakfast choices!