Wednesday, December 31, 2014
Recipe of the Day
Black Bean Quinoa Quesadillas
This recipe provides 4 servings.
1) 1/2 cup water
2) 1/2 cup cooked black beans
3) 1/4 cup quinoa
4) 1/2 cup finely diced fresh tomatoes
5) 1/4 cup corn kernels
6) 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
7) 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
8) 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
9) 8 soft whole wheat tortillas or brown rice tortillas
1) Bring water and quinoa to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Turn the heat off and leave the covered saucepan on the burner for an additional 5 minutes. Remove the lid and fluff with a fork and set aside.
2) Preheat the oven to 375 F. degrees. Combine the 1/2 cup of cooked quinoa and black beans in a medium bowl. Lightly mash the mixture with a potato masher to bind it together. Add the tomatoes, green onions, corn and cilantro and mix thoroughly.
3) Place 4 of the tortillas on 1 large or 2 small baking sheets.
4) Spread the mixture evenly over the tortillas. Sprinkle evenly with the cheese and cover with remaining 4 tortillas.
5) Place on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 12 minutes, until cheese is melted and the filling is heated though. The edges of the quesadillas should be lightly browned.
6) Remove from the oven and cut into triangles. Serve with guacamole, sour cream or salsa.