Saturday, December 27, 2014
Recipe of the Day
Lentil Salad with Soft-Cooked Eggs
This recipe provides 6 servings.
1) 1 1/4 cups dried petite green lentils
2) 6 large eggs
3) 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4) 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
5) 2 1/4 teaspoons minced garlic
6) 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
7) 3/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
8) 1 1/4 cups diced red bell pepper
9) 1/2 cup chopped scallions
10) 1/2 cup diced celery
11) 9 cups baby arugula
1) Place lentils in a medium saucepan. Cover with water to 3 inches above lentils; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer approx. 20 mins. or until lentils are tender. Drain and keep warm.
2) Add water to a large saucepan to a depth of 3 inches; bring to a boil. Add eggs; boil 5 minutes. Drain. Plunge eggs into ice water; let stand 5 minutes. Drain and peel.
3) Combine oil, garlic, mustard, vinegar, salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Set aside 2 tablespoons oil mixture. Add lentils, bell pepper, celery, onions to remaining oil mixture; toss gently to coat. Place reserved 2 tablespoons oil mixture and arugula in a large bowl; toss to coat.
4) Place approx. 3/4 cup lentil mixture and about 1 cup arugula mixture on each of 6 plates/portions. Cut eggs in half lengthwise; top each serving with 2 egg halves. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/8 teaspoon black pepper.
Nutritional value per serving:
Total Fat: 16 grams (saturated 3grams)
Protein: 16 grams
Carbs: 27 grams
Fiber: 7 grams
Sodium: 400 mg