Tuesday, December 23, 2014
Recipe of the Day
Mac and Cheese
This recipe provides 6 servings (approx. 1 cup).
1) 10 ounces large whole wheat elbow macaroni
2) 2 tablespoons canola oil
3) 3 garlic cloves, crushed
4) 2 1/4 cups lower-sodium chicken stock, divided
5) 1/2 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
6) 8 1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
7) 4 ounces 1/3 less fat cream cheese
8) 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
9) 3 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded ( approx. 3/4 cup)
10) 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
11) Cooking spray
1) Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain. Set aside.
2) Preheat broiler to high.
3) Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add garlic to pan; cook approx. 3 minutes, until garlic is fragrant, stirring frequently (do not brown). Stir in 1 cup stock; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute. Combine remaining 1 1/4 cups stock, milk, and flour; stir with a whisk, until flour dissolves. Add milk mixture to garlic mixture, stirring with a whisk. Bring to a boil; cook 5 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken. Remove milk mixture from heat; add cream cheese, stirring until smooth. Stir in salt and pepper. Add cooked pasta to milk mixture, tossing to coat. Let stand 5 minutes. Pour pasta mixture into a 2 quart baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle cheddar evenly over pasta mixture. Broil 3 minutes or until cheese melts and begins to brown. Let stand approx. 5 minutes. Ready to eat.
Nutritional info per serving:
Total Fat: 15 grams (saturated 6 grams)
Carbs: 40 grams
Protein: 14 grams
Sodium: 400 mg