Saturday, December 13, 2014
Recipe of the Day
Kale and Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese
This recipe provides 4 servings (one sandwich).
1) 4 medium to large kale leaves, stems removed
2) 2 teaspoons canola oil
3) 2 medium red onions, cut into 1/2 inch-thick slices
4) 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
5) 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6) 8 ( 1-ounce) slices multigrain bread
7) 1 ounce finely grated Parmesan cheese, divided (approx. 1/4 cup)
8) 3.5 ounces shredded Gruyere cheese
9) cooking spray
10) 1 1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
1) Preheat oven to 300 F degrees.
2) Bring to a small pot of water to a boil; add kale. Remove from heat; let stand 3-4 minutes, until kale is bright green. Drain; rinse kale under cold water until cool. Pat leaves dry.
3) Heat a skillet over medium -high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add onion, pepper and salt. Cook 10 minutes or until onion is tender and browned, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in vinegar, tossing to coat. Coarsely chop onion.
4) Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Lightly coat 1 side of each bread slice with cooking spray. Working with two slices at a time, arrange bread in a pan, sprayed side down. Cook 1-2 minutes or until bread begins to brown. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon Parmesan on 1 bread slice in pan. Top with 1 kale leaf, one- forth of onion mixture, and approximately 1/4 cup Gruyere cheese. Top with other toasted bread slice. Transfer sandwich to a baking sheet. Repeat procedure with remaining 6 bread slices, Parmesan, 3 kale leaves, onion and cheese. Bake sandwich at 300 F. degrees for 4- 5 minutes, until cheese melts.
Nutritional value per serving:
Fat: 15 grams (6 saturated)
Protein: 17 grams
Carbs: 31 grams
Fiber: 6 grams
Sodium: 655 mg