Monday, December 8, 2014
Recipe of the Day
Wheat Berry Salad with Red Fruit
Recipe Insight: Wheat berries are whole kernels of wheat with just the outer husk removed. When cooked they have a chewy bite and nutty flavor. For this sweet and tart salad, they are blended with cranberries, apples and pecans and tossed in a raspberry vinaigrette, a tasty, winning combination. A good idea, serve over a bed of peppery arugula for lunch or light dinner.
This recipe provides 6 servings (approx. 1 cup each).
1) 1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
2) 1/3 cup dried cranberries
3) 1 large Fuji apple, unpeeled, diced
4) 3 cups Cooked Wheat Berries
5) 1/2 cup pecan halves, toasted and coarsely chopped
6) 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
7) 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
8) 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1) Combine orange juice and cranberries in a small bowl. Let stand for approx. 15 minutes.
2) Combine wheat berries, apple and pecans in a large bowl; stir gently. Drain the cranberries, reserving the juice. Stir the cranberries into the wheat berry mixture.
3) Whisk the reserved orange juice, vinegar and oil in a small bowl until combined. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over the salad and stir gently to coat. Refrigerate for approx. 30 minutes to allow the flavors to combine. Serve cold or at room temperature.
320 calories per serving