Monday, November 24, 2014
Recipe of the Day
Sweet Potato and Beef Chili
This recipe provides 4 servings (serving size 2 cups).
1) 1 pound 95% lean ground beef
2) 3 cloves garlic, minced
3) 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4) 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
5) 1 medium red or white onion, diced
6) 1 1/4 pounds sweet potato, peeled and cubed
7) 2 teaspoons coriander
8) 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
9) 1/2 teaspoon paprika
10) 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
11) 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
12) 2 1/4 cups fat free, low sodium chicken broth
13) 1/2 lime, juiced
1) Season the ground beef with salt and pepper. Make a spice mixture by tossing coriander, cumin, chili powder, and paprika together. Set these aside.
2) Heat a Dutch oven (larger than 5 quarts) over medium high heat. Add oil and then garlic to heated oil. Once you can smell the garlic, add onions, sauté until softened, approx. 3 minutes.
3) Next add in ground beef with half of the spice mixture and diced tomatoes. Brown and break up with a wooden spoon, 3-5 minutes. If there is a lot of grease, drain from the pot.
4) Add in sweet potatoes, chicken stock, and remainder of spices. Cover and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer and cook covered for another 15 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are softened.
Nutritional Info per Serving:
Total Fat: 22 grams (saturated 5 grams)
Sodium: 910 mg
Fiber: 12 grams
Protein: 36 grams
Carbs: 45 grams