Saturday, November 22, 2014
Recipe of the Day
Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese
This recipe provides 8 servings (approx. 1 1/2 cups).
1) 4 cups Butternut Squash, cubed and peeled
2) 2 cups reduced sodium Chicken Broth or reduced sodium Vegetable Broth
3) 1 1/2 cups low fat milk
4) 1/4 cup plain 2% fat Greek Yogurt
5) 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
6) 1 teaspoon sea salt
7) 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
8) 1 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
9) 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
10) 1 cup grated White Cheddar Cheese
11) 1 box ( 1 pound) elbow noodles, cooked al dente
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large pot, combine cubed butternut squash and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for approx. 20 minutes, until squash is tender.
2) Remove from heat. Add milk, Greek yogurt, dry mustard, salt, pepper and puree until smooth with an immersion blender. Stir in Gruyere and Parmesan cheeses until melted and then fold in pasta. Pour everything into a 13 by 9-inch baking dish lightly brushed with olive oil.
3) Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and turn oven to Broil (Low setting). Sprinkle cheddar cheese over macaroni and return to oven for an additional 3-5 minutes, until cheese has browned and some edges of noodles are crisp.
430 calories per serving