Cannellini Bean, Broccoli & Cheddar Soup
This recipe provides 6 servings (about 3/4 cup).
Recipe Insight : While canned beans are convenient, they tend to be high in sodium. Give them a good rinse prior to adding to a recipe to rid them of some of their sodium (up to 35%), or choose lower-sodium or no salt varieties.
1) 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
2) 1 pound broccoli crowns, trimmed and chopped (approx. 6 cups)
3) 1 cup water
4) 1 14-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed
5) 1 1/4 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
6) 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
7) 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1) Bring broth and water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add broccoli, cover and cook until tender, approx. 7 minutes. Stir in beans, salt and pepper and cook until the beans are heated through, approx. 1 minute.
2) Transfer half the mixture to a blender with half the cheese and puree. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Transfer to a bowl. Repeat with the remaining broccoli mixture and cheese. Serve warm.
Nutritional Value per Serving:
8 grams fat (4 grams saturated)
15 grams carbs
11 grams protein
440 mg sodium
6 grams fiber