Monday, October 27, 2014
Recipe of the Day
Celery & Crunchy Pear Salad
This recipe provides 6 servings ( 1 cup each)
Recipe Insight: To toast chopped pecans, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and just lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
1) 5 stalks celery, trimmed and cut in half crosswise
2) 2 tablespoons cider, pear, raspberry or other fruit vinegar
3) 2 tablespoons honey
4) 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
5) 2 ripe pears, preferably red Bartlett or Anjou, diced
6) 1 cup finely diced white Cheddar cheese
7) 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
8) 6 large leaves butterhead or other lettuce
9) Freshly ground pepper to taste
1) Soak celery in a bowl of ice water for approx. 15 minutes. Drain and pat dry. Cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
2) Whisk vinegar, honey and salt in a large bowl until blended. Add pears; gently stir to coat. Add the celery, cheese and pecans; stir to combine ingredients. Season with pepper. Divide the lettuce leaves among 6 plates and top with a portion of salad mixture. May be served at room temperature or chilled.
225 calories per serving