Friday, October 17, 2014
Recipe of the Day
Barley & Wild Rice Pilaf with Pomegranate Seeds
This recipe provides 6 servings ( 3/4 cup each).
1) 2 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
2) 1 medium onion, finely chopped
3) 1/2 cup wild rice
4) 1/2 cup pearl barley
5) 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
6) 1/3 cup pine nuts
7) 1 cup pomegranate seeds
8) 3 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
9) 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
1) Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened. Add wild rice and barley; stir for a few seconds. Add broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the wild rice and barley are tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, approx. 45 minutes.
2) Meanwhile, toast pine nuts in a small, dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until light golden and fragrant, approx. 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl to cool.
3) Add pomegranate seeds, lemon zest, parsley and the roasted pine nuts to the pilaf; fluff with fork. This dish is best served hot.
220 calories per serving.