Pasta and Peas
This recipe provides 4 servings.
1) 2 cups shelled peas (fresh or frozen)
2) 1 cup dried ditalini (or other soup pasta)
3) 1 shallot, peeled and quartered
4) 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
5) 1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
6) 1 Tablespoon butter
7) 2 oz. thinly sliced prosciutto
8) 1/4 cup whipping cream
Baby salad greens (optional)
1) Cook pasta according to package instructions, adding 1 cup of the peas the last 2 minutes of cooking. Reserve 1 cup pasta water. Drain pasta, and set aside.
2) In a food processor combine remaining peas*, basil, shallot, 2 Tablespoons of the Parmesan, 1/4 teaspoon sea salt and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Add 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta water. Cover; process until almost smooth. Set aside.
*If you are using fresh peas, blanch in boiling water approx. 2 minutes before processing.
3) In a large skillet heat butter over medium heat. Add prosciutto; cook approx. 3 minutes, until crispy. Remove to paper towels; drain. Cut into strips. Add cream to skillet; bring to boiling. Boil gently, uncovered for 1 minute. Add pasta mixture, blended pea mixture, and remaining 1/2 cup pasta water. Toss gently until heated through. Top with prosciutto, remaining Parmesan, and baby salad greens (if desired).
300 calories per serving