Saturday, February 22, 2014
Caramelized Onion Quiche
This recipe provides 6 servings
1) one refrigerated pie crust
2) 4 cups thinly sliced onions
3) 1/4 cup olive oil
4) 5 eggs
5) 1 cup 2% milk
6) 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
7) 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
8) 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
9) Gruye're cheese ( 1 cup), or 4 ounces Swiss shredded
1) Heat oven to 375 degrees. Fit crust into 9-inch pie plate, cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
2) Heat oil in a large saute' pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until browned and soft, stirring occasionally, approx. 35 mins. (If onions begin to burn, reduce heat to medium-low.) Then set aside to cool a little.
3) In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, mustard, nutmeg, and salt. Remove pie plate from refrigerator. Sprinkle cheese evenly onto bottom of crust. Scatter onions on top. Pour egg mixture over cheese and onions. Bake quiche at 375 degrees for approx. 45 mins, until eggs are set and crust is browned. Cool approx. 10 mins on a wire rack before serving.
450 calories per serving
Tuesday, February 18, 2014
For individuals over the age of 50, muscle loss occurs at approximately 10% per decade, and bone loss happens at a rate of approximately 25% per decade. Muscle mass is associated with bone mineral density. Decreases in muscle mass are typically accompanied by decreases in bone mineral density, additionally increases in muscle mass are typically accompanied by increases in bone mineral density.
A considerable number of longitudinal research studies have demonstrated significant increases in bone mineral density following a 4-24 months of weight training.
Just another great reason to make weight training a part of your life, as it will add to the quality of your life!
Cracked Pepper Salmon
This recipe provides 4 servings
1) 4 salmon fillets, skin on
2) 1/2 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
3) 3 teaspoons freshly cracked or coarsely ground whole black peppercorns
4) 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1) Combine the maple syrup and soy sauce in a covered bowl or a sealable bag. Add the salmon fillets and refrigerate over night
2) Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Remove the salmon from the marinade and place in a baking dish. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons of the marinade, discard the rest. Using a peppermill, grind the peppercorns over the salmon in order to thoroughly cover the fillets. Cover with foil, reduce heat on oven to 350, and bake for approx. 18 minutes. The skin will easily remove as the salmon is pulled from the baking dish.
nutritional info: 240 calories per serving 30 grams of protein
Friday, February 7, 2014
Chicken Potpie topped with Biscuits
This recipe provides 6 servings (serving size: approx. 1 1/2 cups)
1) 1/4 cup chopped shallot
2) 1 tablespoon butter
3) 2 cups chopped leek
4) 3/4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
5) 2 cups of diced potatoes
6) 1/2 cup diced onions
7) 1/3 cup dry white wine
8) 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
9) One (14 ounce) can fat-free, less sodium chicken broth
10) 2 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
11) 1 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
12) 1/4 teaspoon salt
13) 1/4 teaspoon pepper
14) 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
15) 2 tablespoons water
16) 2/3 cup of half-and-half
17) 1 1/4 cups low-fat baking mix
18) 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
19) 1/2 cup fat-free milk
20) Cooking Spray
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add leek, shallot, and thyme; saute' approx. 2-3 minutes. Add potatoes; saute' 2 minutes. Add wine; cook about 1 minute, until liquid evaporates. Stir in broth and mustard; bring to a boil. Cook 4 minutes, stirring ocassionally. Stir in chicken, mixed veggies, salt, and pepper; cook 1 minute. Combine cornstarch and two tablespoons water in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add cornstarch mixture and half-and-half to pan. Reduce heat, and simmer 2 minutes, stirring consistently. Spoon mixture into a 13 by 9 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
Lightly spoon baking mix into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine baking mix, milk, and egg in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Spoon batter over chicken mixture; spread evenly to cover. Bake at 425 for 20 minutes or until topping is golden and filling is bubbly. Let dish stand, cool for approx. 10 mins. before serving.