Sunday, July 21, 2013
Recipe of the Day
Chicken Soup with Rice
This recipe provides 4 servings.
Recipe Insight: Orzo or any other tiny pasta, or other thin noodles may be used as a substitute for the rice.
1) 5 cups homemade or reduced sodium chicken stock
2) 1/2 cup long grain rice
3) 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into thin slices
4) 1 celery stalk, minced
5) 1 1/2 cups cooked or raw chopped boneless skinless chicken
6) Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
7) Optional: minced fresh parsley or dill leaves for garnish
1) Place the stock in a large, deep saucepan and turn heat to medium-high. When it is just about boiling, turn the heat down to medium so that it bubbles, but not too vigorously. Stir in the carrot, rice, and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are all fork tender, approx. 15 mins.
2) Stir in the chicken. If it is raw, cook another 5-7 mins., until it is cooked. If it is cooked, cook approx. 3 mins., until it is hot. Season with salt and pepper, garnish, and the tasty soup is ready to serve!