Saturday, June 29, 2013
Recipe of the Day
Grilled Portobello Mushroom Roll-Ups
*This recipe provides 4 servings.
Recipe Insight: Look for whole-grain flatbreads to obtain a little extra fiber. The combination of the ingredients in this recipe make a simple, yet flavorful meal.
1) 4 Portobello mushroom caps, stems trimmed close to cap
2) 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
3) 3 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
4) 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
5) 2 teaspoons canola oil
6) 2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
7) 2 red bell peppers, sliced into 1/4-inch strips
8) 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
9) 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
10) 4 whole-grain flatbreads
1) Place mushrooms caps gill-side up on a large plate. Using a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, garlic and vinegar. Using a pastry brush, smooth olive oil mixture evenly over mushrooms; let mushrooms marinate, covered, at room temp for approx. 1 hour.
2) In the meantime, heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions when oil starts to shimmer and cook for approx. 20 mins, stirring frequently, so they soften and brown evenly. When onions are close to being done, push them aside in the pan and add red peppers. Cook until peppers begin to soften slightly, approx. 7 mins. Stir in salt and thyme; cook until thyme is fragrant, approx. 30 seconds more; then remove from heat
3) Using a grill pan, place over medium high heat. Place mushrooms gill-side down on pan, and cook for approx. 2 mins. Turn mushroom caps gill-side up and cook for another 2 mins. The mushrooms will be cooked through when they start to soften and liquid starts to appear in the gills. Place them on a cutting board to cool slightly; then cut into strips.
4) Lie flatbreads out on a cutting board and fill each with sliced mushrooms and a 1/4 of the caramelized onion-pepper topping. Roll the flatbread up, then cut in half to serve.
Nutritional value per serving:
Total calories: 325
Total Fat: 15 grams (saturated 2 grams)
Carbs: 12 grams
Fiber: 4 grams
Protein: 3 grams
Sodium: 300 mg