Thursday, May 16, 2013
Oven Roasted Broccoli
Recipe Insight: Roasting caramelizes the sugars in broccoli, tempering any bitterness and bringing out its natural sweetness.
Also, the garlic boosts flavor and assist in fighting plaque buildup in your arteries.
This recipe provides 2 servings
1) 1 package (12 oz) broccoli florets
2) 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
3) 1 tablespoon olive oil
Optional: 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
1) Heat oven to 425 degrees
2) Toss broccoli with oil, rosemary (if using), and 1/4 teaspoon sea salt and 1/8-1/4 teaspoon pepper on a large sheet pan. Arrange in single layer and roast in center of oven, turning periodically, until golden brown in spots, approx. 20 mins. Add garlic and toss to combine. Cook for approx. 2 mins. longer.
Total Calories per Serving: 120
Protein: 5 grams
Carbs: 9 grams
Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Purchase frozen veggies, without any sauces that are microwavable in the bag. If you are concerned about frozen veggies not being as nutritious as fresh, do not worry!
Frozen vegetables are often frozen in such a way that preserving nutrients is maintained. The key thing here is convenience, cutting down on meal preparation time.
Saturday, May 4, 2013
Marinated Grilled Chicken and Tomatoes
*This recipe provides 4 servings.
1) 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2) 2 tsp Dijon mustard
3) 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4) 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
5) 1 1/4 tsp minced garlic
6) 1/4 cup sliced red onion
7) 1 1/2 lbs chicken breast cutlets (1/4 inch thick)
8) 4 cups baby arugula
1) Whisk together vinegar, mustard, and garlic. Add oil in slow stream, whisking to combine. Season to desired taste. Divide between two bowls. Add tomatoes and onion to one bowl and chicken to the other. Marinate 15-20 mins.
2) Heat grill pan coated with olive oil spray over medium heat. Remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade). Grill chicken in 2 batches, turning, until golden brown and cooked through, approx. 6 mins. Transfer to plate and cover to keep warm
3) Toss arugula in bowl with marinated tomatoes and onion to coat. Half chicken and divide among 4 plates. Top with salad.
Nutritional value per serving:
Total Calories: 325
Protein: 37 grams
Carbs: 7 grams
Total Fat: 15 grams ( saturated 2.5 grams)
Sodium: 300 mg