Friday, March 15, 2013
Recipe of the Day
Greek Salad with Roasted Beets
This recipe provides 4 servings.
1) 4 medium beets, preferably a combination of red, candy-striped and gold, trimmed and scrubbed
2) 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3) 1/4 cup minced red onion
4) 6 tablespoons red wine vinegar
5) 1 teaspoon minced fresh red Thai chili or crushed red chili flakes
6) 2 romaine hearts, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/2 inch thick at an angle
7) 8 celery heart stalks, sliced 1/4-inch thick at an angle
8) 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
9) 1 oz Nicoise olives, pitted and halved (approx. 2 tablespoons)
10) 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves, thinly sliced
11) A pinch of sea salt
12) A pinch of fresh ground pepper
1) Preheat oven to 325 F
2) Place beets on a large sheet of foil. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil and season with salt and pepper.
3) Wrap up beets tightly and roast until a knife pierces through them easily. approx. 1 hr and 15 mins.
4) Unwrap beets. When cool enough to handle, peel and cut into wedges. Whisk vinegar, remaining 3 tablespoons oil, onion, chile and a pinch of salt.
5) Arrange beets on 4 serving plates. Drizzle with a little dressing and season with salt and pepper. Top with romaine, celery, feta and olives. Drizzle remaining dressing all over. Season with salt, pepper and oregano. Garnish with celery leaves if desired and serve.
Serving Size: 2 cups of salad
Nutritional value per serving:
Total calories: 250
Total Fat: 15 grams (saturated: 3 grams)
Sodium: 600 mg
Carbs: 25 grams
Protein: 5 grams
Fiber: 6 grams