Sunday, February 10, 2013
Recipe of the Day
Turkey Meatball Subs
Recipe Insight: These subs are packed with carbohydrates, protein and iron.
This recipe provides 4 servings.
1) 5 whole-grain sub rolls
2) 1 lb extra-lean ground white turkey breast
3) 2 garlic cloves, minced
4) 1 teaspoon dried oregano
5) 1 egg
6) 1 egg white
7) 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
8) 1 14.5-oz can Italian-style tomatoes
9) 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
1) Using a food processor, process 1 sub roll into fine bread crumbs. Measure out 1 cup of crumbs.
2) In a large mixing bowl, use you hands to combine turkey, garlic, oregano, egg and egg white. Gently shape the mixture into 20 meatballs. Wash hands with soap and water after completing this step.
3) Heat a 10 inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add meatballs to skillet and brown on all sides. Remove meatballs and reduce heat to medium. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until slices are softened and just starting to brown.
4) Add tomatoes and meatballs, and stir to coat. Allow mixture to come to a slight boil, then reduce heat to medium low and cook for 20 mins, uncovered.
5) Split remaining 4 sub rolls in half lengthwise. Fill each roll with 5 meatballs and sauce, and top each with 1 tablespoon of shredded cheese.
Nutritional value per serving:
Total Fat: 5 grams (saturated 1 gram)
Carbs: 40 grams
Protein: 39 grams
Sodium: 500 mg
Cholesterol: 125 mg