Wednesday, January 9, 2013
Recipe of the Day
Southwestern Potato Skins
This recipe provides 8 servings.
1) 8 6-oz potatoes, scrubbed
2) 1/3 cup chopped red onion
3) 1 small jalapeno chili pepper, seeded and minced
4) 2 medium tomatoes, diced
5) 1 clove garlic, minced
6) 1/2 cup cooked or BPA-free canned black beans, drained and rinsed
7) 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
8) 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
9) 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
10) 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
11) Olive oil cooking spray
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with foil and mist with cooking spray. Prick each potato several times with a fork and transfer to a sheet. Bake for 50 mins, turning once. Cool completely, approx. 1 hour.
2) Meanwhile, mist a large skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium low. Add onion and jalapeno and cook for approx. 4 mins, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add garlic and cook for another minute, until fragrant. Add tomato, black beans, corn, cumin and chili powder. Increase heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, for approx. 4 mins.
3) Preheat broiler to high. Slice each potato in half lengthwise. Scoop out flesh, leaving a 1/4 inch shell, reserving flesh for another use. Place potatoes skin side up on a foil lined baking sheet. Mist with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt. Broil for approx. 4 mins, until crisp and golden.
4) Remove potatoes from oven, using tongs to carefully flip over. Fill each potato skin with bean mixture and top with cheese, dividing evenly. Return to oven and broil for another 4 mins, until hot and bubbly. Remove from oven. Top each with a dollop of low fat sour cream and sprinkle with scallions and cilantro, dividing evenly.
Serving Size: 2 potato skins
Nutritional value per serving:
Total Fat: 5 grams (Saturated 2 grams)
Carbs: 10 grams
Cholesterol: 20 mg
Protein: 6 grams