Sunday, January 6, 2013
Recipe of the Day
Japanese Chicken Scallion Rice Bowl
This recipe provides 4 servings.
1) 1 1/2 cups instant brown rice
2) 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
3) 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
4) 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
5) 1 tablespoon mirin or 1 tablespoon white wine plus a pinch of sugar
6) 1 large egg
7) 2 large egg whites
8) 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
9) 8 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
1) Prepare rice according to directions on package.
2) Pour broth into a medium saucepan and add sugar, soy sauce and mirin (or wine plus sugar). Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a medium-low.
3) Stir egg whites and whole egg in a small bowl until just mixed. Add chicken to the simmering broth. Gently pour in the egg mixture, without stirring. Sprinkle scallions on top. When the egg begins to firm up, after approx. 3 mins, and stir. ( The chicken will be cooked by now.) Divide the rice among 4 deep soup bowls and top with the chicken mixture.
Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups each
Nutritional value per serving:
Total Fat: 3 grams (Saturated 1 gram)
Cholesterol: 88 mg
Carbs: 35 grams
Protein: 22 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
Sodium: 430 mg
Potassium: 352 mg