Thursday, January 31, 2013
Recipe of the Day
Country-Style Beef & Green Pepper Soup
Recipe Insight: You can make this soup ahead and enjoy it for lunch or dinner. Make a batch or two and freeze in single serving containers.
This recipe provides 6 servings.
1) 12 oz extra-lean ground beef
2) 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
3) 2 medium green bell peppers, diced
4) 1 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
5) 1 lb tomatoes, chopped
6) 4 oz green beans, trimmed and broken into 1-inch pieces
7) 1 1/2 cups frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed and patted dry
8) 2 cups coarsely chopped green cabbage
9) 3 cups low-sodium beef broth
10) 2 teaspoons dried oregano
11) 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
12) 1 teaspoon black pepper
13) 1 teaspoon sea salt
1) Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a Dutch oven on medium-high, tilting Dutch oven to coat bottom lightly. Add beef and cook for approx. 3 mins or until browned, stirring frequently. Drain beef on paper towels; then set aside.
2) Heat 1 tablespoon oil in Dutch oven on medium high. Add bell peppers and onion and cook for approx. 6 mins, until edges begin to brown, stirring occasionally. Add beef back to Dutch oven with tomatoes, beans, corn, cabbage, broth and oregano. Bring mixture to a boil using same heat, then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 12-15 mins, until beans are tender crisp.
3) Remove Dutch oven from heat, stir in remaining ingredients, including oil, and let stand for approx. 10 mins. before serving to allow flavors to meld together.
Nutritional value per serving: ( approx. 1 1/2 cups )
Total Fat: 6 grams (saturated 1 gram)
Carbs: 17 grams
Fiber: 4 grams
Protein: 16 grams
Sodium: 440 mg