Wednesday, January 23, 2013
Recipe of the Day
Apple, Cheese and Spinach Panini Sandwiches with Caramelized Onions
Recipe Insight: Spinach is one of the most nutrient-dense foods on the foods on the planet, containing good amounts of vitamin A, B6, C and E, folate, fiber, magnesium, potassium and zinc!
This recipe provides 4 servings.
1) 1 cup sliced yellow onion
2) 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
3) 1 large ambrosia apple, thinly sliced and tossed with juice of 1 lime
4) 2 cup spinach leaves, stems removed
5) 4-oz low-fat Swiss cheese, thinly sliced into 4 slices
6) 4 ciabatta rolls or 8 slices whole-wheat sourdough bread
1) Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat for approx. 2 mins. Add oil and onions. Stir occasionally. After approx. 5 mins, onions will begin to caramelize, and you will need to stir constantly for approx. 4 more mins. Onions should be evenly browned, not burnt. Remove from heat and per aside.
2) To assemble sandwiches, spread about tablespoons of onions on each of 4 pieces of bread. Top each with approx. 8 spinach leaves, 1 slice of cheese and 3 pieces of apple. Top with other slices of bread.
3) Heat grill. After assembling sandwiches, grill for approx. 2.5 mins. then flip and grill for another 2. 5 mins. Serve with extra apple slices.
Nutritional value per serving:
Total Fat: 5 grams (saturated 1 gram)
Carbs: 42 grams
Fiber: 8 grams
Protein: 16 grams
Sodium: 410 mg
Cholesterol: 12 mg