Tuesday, January 22, 2013
Recipe of the Day
Pasta with Chickpeas
Recipe Insight: The combination of chickpeas and pasta is a tradition in Sicily. This dish makes a great meatless pasta that is also rich in protein
This recipe provides 4 servings.
1) 1 1/2 cups medium pasta shells
2) 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
3) 2 teaspoons olive oil
4) 1 cup drained rinsed canned chickpeas
5) 1 cup crushed tomatoes (no salt added)
6) 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
7) 3 garlic cloves, minced
8) 1/4 -1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
9) 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1) Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking liquid, and keep warm.
2) In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil. Add onions; cook, stirring as needed, until softened, approx. 5 mins. Stir in the chickpeas, garlic, tomatoes, parsley, pepper flakes and salt. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring as needed, until tomatoes are softened, approx. 10 mins. Stir in the pasta and cooking liquid; stirring 2-3 mins.
Nutritional value per serving:
Total Fat: 0
Sodium: 230 mg
Total carbs: 46 grams
Fiber: 6 grams
Protein: 10 grams
Calcium: 62 mg