Wednesday, January 16, 2013
Recipe of the Day
Turkey & Chickpea Burger
Recipe Insight: This recipe cuts the fat content nearly in half and ups the fiber content.
This recipe provides 4 servings.
1) 1 15 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2) 3/4 cup scallions, chopped
3) 1 teaspoon ground cumin
4) 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
5) 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
6) 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
7) 3/4 lb ground turkey breast (12 oz), 99% fat free
8) Olive oil cooking spray
1) In a food processor, combine cumin, chickpeas, scallions, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Pulse until smooth.
2) Transfer chickpea mixture to a large mixing bowl. Add turkey and mix by hand until well combined.
3) Divide turkey-chickpea mixture into 4 -equal portions, shaping each into a 3/4 inch patty. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Coat skillet with cooking spray and cook patties for 5 mins. each side.
Suggestion Suggestion: Serve on a whole-wheat bun, topped with onions, tomatoes, spinach and Dijon mustard.
Nutritional value per 6 oz patty with whole-wheat bun, spinach, tomatoes and Dijon mustard:
Total Fat: 4.5 grams (saturated fat:0 grams)
Carbs: 40 grams
Fiber: 7 grams
Protein: 30 grams
Cholesterol: 40 mg