Friday, January 11, 2013
Recipe of the Day
Risotto-Style Barley & Asparagus
*This recipe provides 2 servings.*
1) 1/2 cup pearl barley
2) 1 1/2 cups plus 1/3 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock, divided
3) 1/4 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut diagonally into 1 inch pieces
4) 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
5) Zest of 1/2 lemon
6) Pinch of sea salt
7) Pinch of black pepper
1) Using a small saucepan, add barley and 1 1/2 cups stock. Bring to boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for approx. 45 mins., until tender and most of liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and set aside in saucepan.
2) Using a medium saucepan on medium-high, heat oil. Add asparagus and zest and saute for 2 mins, until tender crisp. Add barley and remaining 1/3 cup stock and cook on medium, stirring constantly, for approx. 2 mins. Season with salt and pepper.
Tip: If you have leftovers, refrigerate in a covered container, may be used in soups in salads within 2 days.
Nutritional value per serving:
Total Fat: 8 grams (Saturated 1 gram)
Protein: 15 grams
Carbs: 1 gram
Sodium: 92 mg
Cholesterol: 40 mg