Wednesday, January 30, 2013
Crock Pot Recipe 21
Recipe Insight: The garlic becomes creamy as it cooks. You can choose to look for garlic that are already peeled.
This recipe provides 5 servings.
1) 1/2 cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
2) 3 tablespoons dry white wine
3) 2 tablespoons cognac
4) 3 pounds chicken pieces or 1 (3.5 pound) whole chicken, skinned and cut into 8 pieces
5) 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
6) 1 1/2 teaspoons butter
7) 1/4 teaspoon salt
8) 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
9) 30 garlic cloves, peeled
10) 2 teaspoons thyme leaves
Serving Size: 4 ounces chicken, approx. 3 tablespoons sauce, and approx. 6 garlic cloves
1) Combine first 3 ingredients in a small bowl.
2) Discard giblets and neck from chicken (if using whole chicken). Rinse chicken and pat dry. Heat oil and butter in a 12 inch nonstick skillet over medium high heat until butter melts. Sprinkle chicken pieces evenly with salt and pepper. Add chicken pieces to pan; cook for approx. 2 mins on each side, until golden brown. Remove chicken from pan; place in crock pot.
3) Reduce heat to medium. Add garlic to drippings in pan; saute approx. 1 min. until garlic begins to brown. Stir in broth mixture, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Boil approx. 2 mins. or until sauce is reduced to approx. 1 cup. Pour sauce over chicken; sprinkle with thyme. Cover and cook on low for 3.5 to 4 hours. Serve sauce and garlic with chicken.
Nutritional value per serving:
Total Fat: 7 grams (saturated 2 grams)
Protein: 33 grams
Carbs: 8 grams
Calcium: 60 mg