Saturday, December 8, 2012
Recipe of the Day
Thai-Style Tofu & Noodles
This recipe provides 4 servings.
1) 2 quarts, plus 1 tablespoon water
2) 1/2 lb whole-wheat linguine
3) 1 (14 oz) package extra firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
4) 1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
5) 3 cloves of minced garlic
6) 1 medium red pepper, cut into 1/2 inch slices
7) 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1/2 inch slices
8) 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
9) Olive Oil Spray
1) 2 tablespoon natural, unsalted peanut butter
2) 1/3 cup salsa
3) 1/4 -1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
4) 1/3 cup water
1) Using a large pot, bring 2 quarts of water to a boil; add linguine and cook for approx. 10 mins.
2) Meanwhile, pure'e sauce ingredients in a blender for approx. 20 seconds until creamy; set aside.
3) Spray a large nonstick skillet with olive oil spray and place over medium heat. Add tofu cubes and spoon minced garlic and soy sauce over all pieces. Saute' tofu, stirring often, for approx. 5 mins.
4) While the tofu is cooking, spray a separate medium nonstick skillet with olive oil spray and place over medium high heat. Add red and green peppers and sprinkle with salt. Saute' peppers for approx. 3 mins; pour 1 tablespoon water into the pan and immediately cover with lid. Cook for approx. 4 more mins, until peppers are tender and slightly blackened.
5) After the tofu has cooked for about 5 mins. and is slightly golden brown, add sauce and turn heat to low. Gently stir once a few times as sauce thickens, approx. 2 mins. Serve peppers and tofu sauce over linguine.
Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Nutritional value per serving:
Total Fat: 10 grams *Only 1 gram saturated
Fiber: 10 grams
Protein: 21 grams