Thursday, December 6, 2012
Recipe of the Day
French Onion Soup
This recipe provides 4 servings
1) 3 large onions, peeled, halved and sliced into thin half moons (approx. 6 cups)
2) 1/4 teaspoon pepper
3) 1/2 teaspoon salt
4) 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
5) 4 cups reduced-sodium vegetable stock
6) 4 slices French bread, approx. 2" by 2 1/2" by 1 3/4"
7) 4 slices reduced-fat Swiss cheese
8) 1 tablespoon olive oil
1) Using a heavy 6 -quart soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook for approx. 12 mins, stirring frequently, until onions soften.
2) Stir in salt and pepper and raise heat to medium high. Cook onions for approx. 20 mins, stirring frequently, until they are dark and golden brown.
3) Stir in thyme, scraping up browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add stock to pot and bring back to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for approx. one hour.
4) Turn on broiler. Toast bread for approx. one min. on each side.
5) Portion soup into 4 oven-proof bowls placed on a rimmed baking sheet. Top each soup with a slice of toasted bread. Top each bread slice with a slice of cheese. Broil soups on baking sheets for approx. 2 mins. or until cheese is bubbly and browned.
Nutritional value per serving:
Total Fat: 3 grams Saturated Fat: 1 gram
Protein: 12 grams
Carbs: 32 grams
Fiber: 5 grams
Sodium: 762 mg