Monday, December 31, 2012
Recipe of the Day
This recipe provides 4 servings.
1) 1 bunch broccoli (approx. 1 1/4 pounds)
2) 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
3) 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
4) 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
5) 1/2 cup water
6) A pinch of salt
7) A pinch of pepper
1) Cut off and separate broccoli florets. Trim the tough ends of the stalks; peel the stalks, if desired, and cut cross-wise into 3/8 inch -thick slices.
2) Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add capers and garlic and cook, stirring, until the garlic is golden, approx. 1 minute. Add the broccoli florets and stalks and water; bring to simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and cook until the broccoli is tender, approx. 5 mins. Uncover, increase the heat to high and cook, stirring, until any remaining water evaporates, approx 2 mins. Season with salt and pepper.
Nutritional value per serving:
Fat: 3 grams (Saturated 0)
Carbs: 8 grams
Protein: 4 grams
Fiber: 4 grams
Sodium: 156 mg
Potassium: 465 mg