Thursday, December 27, 2012
Recipe of the Day
Split Pea Soup with Smoked Salmon
This recipe provides 6 servings.
Recipe Insight: Compared to other forms of smoked salmon or lox, the hot smoked variety contains no fillers and is not cured in salt
1) 1 1/2 cups of dried split peas
2) 2 carrots, peeled and chopped ( 2 cups)
3) 3 celery ribs, chopped
4) 1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped ( 1 cup)
5) 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
6) 2 teaspoons dried dill
7) 12 oz hot-smoked wild-caught salmon, crumbled into chunks, divided
1) In a 4-Qt. pot, combine 8 cups of water, peas, carrots, celery, and onion. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, then reduce heat to medium low heat to maintain a gentle simmer, covering with lid slightly ajar. Cook for approx. 40 mins, stirring often. Peas should be falling apart and tender.
2) Stir in lemon juice, dill and half of salmon and simmer for 5 mins longer. Remove pot from heat, spoon soup into bowls and top with remaining salmon, dividing evenly.
Nutritional value per serving:
Carbs: 35 mg
Fiber: 15 grams
Total Fat: 4 grams (saturated 1 gram)
Protein: 21 grams
Sodium: 500 grams
Cholesterol: 13 mg