Wednesday, December 26, 2012
Recipe of the Day
This recipe provides 4 servings.
This mix of melted cheese and savory mushrooms is quite tasty to all..including adolescents who do wish to eat broccoli.
1) 1/2 lb broccoli florets
2) 1 lb portobello mushrooms, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
3) 3/4 Spanish onion, sliced into rounds
4) 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
5) 8 1-oz slices whole-wheat bread
6) a pinch dried basil
7) a pinch dried thyme
8) 4 oz sliced part-skim mozzarella cheese
1) Fill a medium pot 1/3 full of water and place over medium high heat. When water comes to a boil, add broccoli, reduce heat to medium and simmer for approx. 5 mins; drain and set aside.
2) Meanwhile, in a nonstick, saute' mushrooms and onion in oil over medium heat for approx. 5 mins, until mushrooms are soft and onion is translucent. Remove from heat then set aside.
3) To build sandwich; Place a quarter of mushroom mixture onto each of 4 slices of bread. Then add 2 oz broccoli and a pinch of thyme and basil. Finish each with 1 oz mozzarella and top slice of bread.
4) Toast (or bake at 250 degrees) sandwiches in a toaster oven for about 4 mins, until cheese is melted and bread is golden brown on the bottom. Sandwiches baked in a standard oven will cook for approx. 6 mins.
Nutritional value per serving:
Total Fat: 9 grams (Saturated 3 grams)
Carbs: 35 grams
Protein: 19 grams
Fiber: 8 grams
Cholesterol: 18 mg