Thursday, December 13, 2012
Recipe of the Day
Ginger-Sesame Chicken with Carrots, Broccoli & Brown Jasmine Rice
This recipe provides 4 servings.
1) 1 cup brown jasmine rice
2) 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
3) 3 tablespoon agave nectar
4) 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
5) 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
6) 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced into 3/4 inch pieces
7) 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder or cornstarch
8) 3 tablespoons minced ginger
9) 1 tablespoon light sesame oil
10) 3 cups small broccoli florets
11) 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced diagonally into 1/8 inch pieces
12) 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
1) Prepare rice as instructed on package directions. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, until ready to serve.
2) In a small bowl, combine chicken broth, agave, soy sauce and dark sesame oil. Place chicken in a medium bowl and add stock mixture. Set aside for approx. 10 mins. Drain chicken, saving liquid. Set chicken aside. Stir arrowroot into stock mixture.
3) In a wok or a large skillet, combine ginger and light sesame oil. Stir-fry over medium heat until ginger is sizzling, approx. 2 mins. Add broccoli and stir-fry for about 1 min. Add carrots and stir-fry for 2 mins. Add chicken and stir-fry for approx. 3 mins, until chicken is cooked through and veggies are crisp and tender. Add stock mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until it comes to a boil and thickens, approx. 2 mins.
4) Serve stir-fry over rice and sprinkled with sesame seeds.
Nutritional value per serving: (serving size: 2 cups stir-fry over 1/4 cup rice)
Total Fat 10 grams (Saturated 2 grams)
Carbs: 35 grams
Fiber 4 grams
Protein: 25 grams
Sodium: 386 mg
Cholesterol: 50 mg