Monday, December 3, 2012
Recipe of the Day
This recipe provides 4 servings
Recipe Insight: This recipe is based upon the traditional dish spanakopita.
1) 2 teaspoons olive oil
2) 10 scallions, sliced
3) 2 10-ounce packages fresh spinach (frozen chopped spinach may be used), cleaned and coarsely chopped
4) 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
5) 2/3 cup low-fat cottage cheese
6) 1/2 cup minced dill
7) 2 eggs, lightly beaten
8) 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
9) 6 sheets phyllo dough, thawed if frozen
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. In a medium nonstick skillet, heat oil. Add the scallions, cook, stirring, approx 1 min. Add spinach; cook, stirring as needed, until wilted, approx. 4 mins. Transfer to a medium bowl; stir in cheeses, eggs, dill and pepper.
2) Spray 1 phyllo sheet with nonstick cooking spray; top with another sheet and spray it. Line the baking pan with these 2 sheets, letting the edges hang over the sides. Spread the spinach mixture over the phyllo. Cover the filling with the remaining 4 sheets, spraying each sheet and tucking them into the pan. Fold in the outside sheets. Bake until golden, approx. 30 mins.
Nutritional value per serving:
Total Fat: 12 grams
Protein: 18 grams
Carbs: 25 grams
Calcium: 300 mg