Tuesday, December 11, 2012
Crock Pot Recipe 16
Sweet Potato Gratin
Recipe Insight: A dash of Parmesan and thyme adds a unique edge to this savory sweet potato gratin.
This recipe provides 12 servings (serving size 1/2 cup)
1) 1 1/3 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
2) 1 tablespoon butter, softened
3) 2 pounds sweet potatoes (approx. 3 large), peeled and thinly sliced
4) 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
5) 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
6) 1/2 teaspoon salt
7) 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
8) 2 ounces grated fresh Parmesan cheese (about 1/2 cup), divided
9) 1/2 cup organic or low sodium vegetable broth
10) Cooking Spray
1) Melt butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion; saute' approx. 5 mins., until lightly browned. Combine onion, sweet potato, next 4 ingredients (through pepper), and 1/4 cup of cheese in a large bowl, mixing to coat with flour. Coat crock pot with cooking spray. Transfer vegetable mixture to crock pot.
2) Pour broth over potato mixture. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours, until potato is tender.
Nutritional value per serving:
Fat: 2.5 grams
Protein: 3.5 grams
Carbs: 14 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
Sodium: 220 mg
Calcium: 93 mg