Monday, December 10, 2012
Crock Pot Recipe 15
Indian Lamb Curry
Recipe Insight: The combination of tomato juice and flour creates a thick sauce.
Recipe Suggestion: Serve with a piece of naan to sop up any extra!
This recipe provides 8 servings:
Serving Size: 1/2 cup rice, 2/3 cup lamb curry, 1 tablespoon yogurt, and 1 tablespoon of cilantro
1) 2 pounds boneless leg of lamb, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
2) 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
3) 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
4) 2 1/4 cups finely chopped white onion
5) 2 tablespoons grated peeled fresh ginger
6) 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
7) 2 teaspoons garam masala
8) 2 teaspoons ground cumin
9) 1/2 teaspoon salt
10) 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
11) 5 garlic cloves, minced
12) 4 cups hot cooked basemati rice
13) 1/2 cup plain fat-free yogurt
14) 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1) Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add lamb; saute' 5 mins. until browned. Remove lamb from pan; place in a crock pot.
2) Drain tomatoes, reserving juice. Place flour in a small bowl; gradually add tomato juice, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Stir tomatoes, tomato juice mixture, onion, and next 7 ingredients (through garlic) into lamb. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, until lamb is tender. Serve lamb curry over rice; top with yogurt, and sprinkle with cilantro.
Nutritional value per serving:
Total Fat: 7 grams (saturated. 2 grams)
Protein: 28 grams
Carbs: 32 grams
Fiber: 1 gram
Sodium: 375 mg
Calcium: 72 mg