Friday, November 30, 2012
Recipe of the Day
Barley "Risotto" with Mushrooms
Barley's earthy flavor pairs very well with portobello mushrooms.
This recipe provides 4 servings
1) 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
2) 2 teaspoons Olive oil
3) 2 onions, finely chopped
4) 2 portobello mushrooms, diced
5) 2 garlic cloves, minced
6) 1/2 cup pearl barley
7) 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
8) 1/4 teaspoon minced thyme
1) In a medium saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer.
2) In a nonstick saucepan, heat the oil. Add the onions; cook stirring as needed, until softened, approx. 5 mins. Add the garlic and mushrooms; cook, stirring as needed, until the mushrooms are wilted, approx. 10 mins. Add barley; cook, stirring to coat, approx. 1 min.
3) Stir in 1 cup of broth; reduce the heat and simmer, covered, approx. 5 mins. Stir in another 1/2 cup of the broth; simmer, covered, 10 mins longer. Continue adding broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring, while the broth is absorbed, until the barley is just tender. The total cooking time should be approx. 40 mins. Stir in cheese and thyme; serve immediately.
Nutritional value per serving:
Fat: 2 grams
Fiber: 5 grams
Protein: 6 grams
Calcium: 43 mg
Carbs: 32 grams
Sodium: 100 mg