Tuesday, November 27, 2012
Recipe of the Day
A Healthy, Delicious Monte Cristo Sandwich
The Monte Cristo scoop: This sandwich is typically assembled with ham, turkey or chicken and loaded with full-fat cheese between 2 slices of white bread, then dipped in a beaten whole egg and fried in butter.
This recipe is a healthier version of this classic sandwich and better on taste!
This sandwich is piled high with saute'ed turkey, baby spinach, pear and low-fat Swiss before being dipped in egg white and saute'ed for a lighter, making for a more nutritious tasty sandwich.
This recipe provides 4 servings.
1) 1 lb turkey breast, thinly sliced, cut into 4-oz pieces
2) 2 tsp olive oil, divided
3) 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
4) 1/2 cup of egg whites
5) A pinch of sea salt and fresh ground pepper
6) 2 tablespoons skim milk
7) A pinch of cayenne pepper
8) 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
9) 1 1/4 cup baby spinach leaves
10) 1 pear, thinly sliced
11) 8 slices whole-grain bread
12) 4 one ounce slices low fat
1) In a small bowl, season turkey with 1 tsp oil, oregano, salt and black pepper.
2) Heat a nonstick saute' pan over medium-high heat. Add turkey and saute' until light golden at edges and fully cooked throughout, approx. 3 mins. per side. Remove from heat and set aside.
3) In a shallow dish, whisk together egg whites and milk. Season with salt, black pepper and cayenne. Set aside.
4) Spread approx. 1 tsp Dijon mustard on one side of each bread slice and place Dijon-side-up, onto a flat surface. Layer equal parts spinach, turkey and pear onto 4 slices of bread. Top each stack with 1 slice of cheese and another slice of bread, Dijon side down, pressing gently.
5) In a medium nonstick saute' pan, heat remaining tsp oil over medium heat.
6) Using a spatula, carefully dip 1 side of a sandwich into egg mixture (egg mixture should go approx. halfway up the bread slice when immersed). With your hand on top of the sandwich and spatula underneath, carefully flip to immerse the other side in egg, then carefully transfer to hot pan. Saute' sandwich, turning once, until golden brown and crisp, approx. 4 mins. Remove from pan. Repeat this process with remaining sandwiches. Cut sandwiches in half and serve.
*Cooking tip for this recipe: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and use it to transfer dipped sandwiches to saute' pan.
Nutritional value per sandwich:
Total Fat: 7 grams
Carbs: 35 grams
Fiber: 6 grams
Protein: 53 grams
Sodium: 750 mg
Cholesterol: 105 mg