Monday, November 12, 2012
Recipe of the Day
Quinoa Black Bean Salad
*This recipe provides 6 servings.*
1) 1 cup quinoa, washed and drained
2) 2 cups water
3) 1/4 cup olive oil
4) Juice of 2 limes
5) 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
6) 1 tsp cumin
7) 1 can black beans, rinsed
8) 1 3/4 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half
9) 5 green onions, finely chopped
10) 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
Pinch of salt and pepper to desired taste
1) Wash and rinse quinoa. In a saucepan, bring quinoa and water to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook until all water is absorbed, approx. 12 mins. Let cool.
2) In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lime juice, cumin and red pepper flakes.
3) Combine cooled quinoa, beans, tomatoes and onions in a large bowl.
4) Drizzle dressing over salad and toss in cilantro. Lightly season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Nutritional value per serving:
Total Fat: 10 grams
Protein: 6 grams
Sodium: 86 mg
Carbs: 27 grams