Sunday, October 14, 2012
Recipe of the Day
Lamb Shanks braised with Tomato
1) 4 (12-ounce) lamb shanks, trimmed
2) 1/2 teaspoon of salt
3) 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
4) 4 garlic cloves, minced
5) 3/4 cup dry red wine
6) 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
7) 1/4 cup chopped parsley
1) Heat a large Dutch oven over medium high-heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle lamb with salt and pepper. Add lamb to pan, and cook approx. 4 mins on each side, until browned. Remove from pan.
2) Add garlic to pan; saute' 15 seconds. Add wine; cook 2 mins., scrapping pan to loosen browned bits. Stir in tomatoes; cook 2 mins. Return lamb to pan. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for one hour. Turn lamb over; simmer 1 hour, until meat is done and tender. Place lamb on a plate; cover loosely with foil.
3) Skim fat from surface of the sauce. Bring to a boil; cook 10 mins, until thickened. Return lamb to pan; cook approx. 4 mins, until lamb is thoroughly heated. Stir in parsley.
*This recipe provides 4 servings.* (serving size: 1 shank and 3/4 cup sauce)
Nutritional value per serving:
Fat: 11.4 grams
Protein: 25.9 grams
Carbs: 11.7 grams
Fiber: 3.5 grams
Cholesterol: 89 mg
Sodium: 439 mg
Calcium: 64 mg