1) Choose dishes flavored, seasoned with herbs and spices instead of rich sauces, gravies or dressings. Opt for sauces on the side and use them sparingly.
2) Order a broth based (not cream based) soup or salad (dressed lightly or get dressing on the side, using sparingly) to help fill up before the actual meal.
3) Order meals where vegetables or fruits are a major component.
4) For a lower calorie dessert, try fresh fruit, sherbet, or sorbet.
5) Look for grilled, steamed, baked, poached, braised or roasted food items on the menu.
6) Avoid battered, buttery, crispy, fried, rich in cheese food selections